October 21, 2017

No injuries in schoolhouse fire

Posted

ELMER TOWNSHIP — No injuries were reported in a fire at a schoolhouse on Galbraith Road near Kittle Road March 23 around midnight.

Tri-Town, Greenwood Township, Fairview and Luzerne fire departments responded to the fire. Tri-Town Fire Chief Dave Stenzel said he believes the cause of the fire was from a faulty chimney, but could not confirm this.

“It was a difficult challenge because of the metal roof on the structure,” Stenzel said. “It also had two-three layers of shingles underneath it.”

One of the residents assisted the department with getting the roof off of the structure. The school was in use, but no one was inside at the time of the fire, according to Stenzel.

“It started some place toward the back,” Luzerne Fire Chief Duane Roddy said. “It got up into the attic and because of the metal roof, the Amish came in with one of their log movers and pulled off the roof.”

Roddy said the fire was out around 5:30 a.m. and resulted in a total loss.

Comments

Please review our community guidelines before posting

Please keep comments on topic and appropriate for all ages. Remember that people of all ages read our website. Those that are not appropriate will be removed. Please read our full community guidelines before posting.

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

Copyright © 2017, Sunrise Publishing. Powered by: Creative Circle Advertising Solutions, Inc.