December 15, 2018

Cause of fatal fire likely candles

Posted

MIO — Michigan State Police Fire Investigator Special Sgt. Paul Frechette said the cause of the fatal fire that occurred April 2 was likely an alternative lighting source.

“Basically, combustible materials were accidently set on fire,” Frechette said. “The most likely scenario is a candle was the ignition source for the fire.”

Marshall Coshatt, 60, of Mio lost his life in the house fire that occurred on the 600 block of Randall Road at approximately 7:30 a.m. April 2. The home, which was soley inhabited by Coshatt, had its power and gas shut off, according to Frechette.

Coshatt was heating with a woodstove and using candles for lighting, he said.

The more concerning fact was the lack of smoke detectors in the home, which according to Frechette could have prevented the fatality.

One firefighter sustained minor injuries while inside the home, according to Tri-Town Fire Department Chief Dave Stenzel. Tri-Town was the responding agency with mutual aid coming from the Luzerne Fire Department.

Comments

Please review our community guidelines before posting

Please keep comments on topic and appropriate for all ages. Remember that people of all ages read our website. Those that are not appropriate will be removed. Please read our full community guidelines before posting.

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

Copyright © 2018, Sunrise Publishing. Powered by: Creative Circle Advertising Solutions, Inc.